It’s that time again! Whether you’re a library newcomer or seasoned summer reader, you may have some questions about this year’s summer reading program. This post addresses some of the most important information about this year’s Fizz Boom READ! Summer Reading Program.
1. What is summer reading, anyway? Summer reading is an initiative that takes place during summer break to encourage children to read for pleasure.
2. Are there any benefits to summer reading? Studies have shown that children who read during the summer are much less likely to experience the “summer slide” effect–that is, losing the skills that they gained during the previous school year. Add to this the general benefits of reading–increased vocabulary, more active imagination–need I go on?
3. How do I sign my child up? All you need is a reading log. Pick one up at any of our four branches. They will be available at the circulation desk and at summer reading program events.
4. What do we have to do? Keep track of the books your child reads (or the books you read together) in the reading log. Once your child completes a log, bring it in and we will give you another one! Be sure to have all reading logs in by July 12!
5. Are there any particular books my child has to read? No. The purpose of summer reading is to encourage reading for pleasure. However, if you or your child would like suggestions, library staff would be happy to assist. We will also provide displays of books that are related to this summer’s theme and activities. Any books your child reads for school may be counted toward their summer reading total.
6. What happens at the end of the summer? We will have a Mad Scientist Laboratory, where participants will receive a certificate, a book or toy from the the treasure chest, a coupon for a free cup of TCBY yogurt, and a coupon for a free game of mini golf and free game tokens from All American Fun Park. Plus, all kids in attendance will be entered to win a free Wilder’s World pass.
7. What about the events I keep seeing? This summer we will have plenty of fun events related to our theme, Fizz Boom READ! Your child is not required to attend events to participate in summer reading, but they are a fun and free way to get out of the house on a hot summer day! To see the calendar, check out our website, our Facebook page, or pick up a hard copy at any of our four branches. These events are all sponsored by the Lee County Library and are free and open to the public.
8. What about children who cannot read independently? Any child can participate in summer reading, including those who are not yet reading independently. You may take a reading log and record books that you read aloud to your child, and/or take an early literacy activities log and complete the suggested activities with your child. We also offer Mother Goose on the Loose for children ages 0-3 and StoryLab for preschoolers ages 3-5.
9. Do you have anything for tweens/teens? Yes! We will have weekly activities for kids ages 8 and up on Mondays at 3:00 p.m. We will offer Minecraft in Real Life, book clubs, Minute to Win it, and more. Check at any Lee County Library branch for a full schedule of activities.
10. Can you tell me more about the Summer Food Service Program? We are pleased to announce that all four Lee County Library branches will be distribution sites for the USDA Summer Food Service Program. Through this program, our sponsor, Our Daily Bread, will serve weekly meals and snacks to children at each of our four branches during the summer. For more information and a full schedule of service times and locations, call your local Lee County Library branch.
11. Is there anything else I need to know? I have to let you know about a great opportunity that the Path2College 529 Plan and Georgia Public Library Service provides for registered summer readers! Once your child (or grandchild) is registered for summer reading, you are eligible to enter the Fizz Boom $ave for College! sweepstakes. One child will win $5,529 for future education expenses, and four other regional winners will receive $1,529. The sweepstakes is free and easy to enter! Visit www.path2college529.com/news/reading.shtml for more information.
If you have any questions about summer reading that were not answered here, drop in any branch or call (229)759-2369 for more information. We can’t wait to see you at the library this summer!