I can’t believe that in a few short weeks we will be kicking off Dream Big–READ! I am SO excited to get started! This year’s theme encompasses nighttime, sleeping, dreams, and wishes, as well as nocturnal animals, outer space and more. We have some great events and activities planned–you can see our calendars for June and July on Facebook and Pinterest, or pick up a hard copy at any of our branches. Without further ado, here are the things I’m really excited about:
5. Rubber Ducky Club–This is a brand-new offering for summer reading! Even though young children cannot read, they are equipped with everything they need to develop skills that they will use later in school. This is called early literacy, and promoting it is as easy as making the commitment to read aloud with your child every day. Registration begins June 1 and is required. At registration, participants will receive a packet of information that includes a June log with six early literacy activities and a July log with six early literacy activities. Those who complete the first six activities will receive a rubber ducky (while supplies last), and those who complete all twelve activities will receive a book of their very own. We will also have a storytime and playgroup at the Leesburg Library on most Monday mornings at 10:00 a.m. For more details about Rubber Ducky Club see this post.
4. Critter Campout–Bring your favorite stuffed friend for a campout themed storytime, then leave them with us to “rough it” at the library! Pick up your friend the next day and find out what they did when the lights went out! Storytime and campout begins at 3:30 p.m. on June 6 at Smithville, and 10:00 a.m. on June 7 at Redbone.
3. LEGO Club–In the second week of July, we will have a LEGO club at each of the three branches! The great thing about this event is that it won’t end with the summer! When school starts back in the fall, we are planning a reoccurring LEGO Club! We have already received a few generous donations, but we still need more. Please help us “build” our LEGO Club with a cash donation or a donation of new/used LEGO or DUPLO blocks.
2. Todd Key’s Flying Debris–Juggler Todd Key is coming to the Leesburg Library for our kickoff event on Tuesday, June 5 at 10:00 a.m.! The Flying Debris Show combines juggling, circus skills, a little magic, and just the right mix of comedy and reading encouragement for kids of all ages! For more information about Todd Key and the Flying Debris Show, check out his website.
1. Think Big! Save for College! Sweepstakes–This is an AMAZING opportunity! Parents (or grandparents) sign their children up for summer reading, then visit www.path2college529.com for a chance to win $5,529 for the child’s future education. As an added bonus, the home library of the winner will receive $1,529 for children’s and teen’s materials and programming! Awards of $1,529 each will also be given to the library that has the greatest number of entries and the library system with the greatest percentage of registered users entered into the sweepstakes–this means that EVERY ENTRY COUNTS!
All summer reading program events are sponsored by the Lee County Library and are free and open to the public. For more information call (229)759-2369. Registration begins June 1.