To go along with this week’s birthday theme, today’s crafternoon craft was a birthday hat! Mine looks a little like Mickey Mouse’s hat in Fantasia, so we played the Fantasia 2000 soundtrack. 🙂 The hats turned out so cute, and they were fairly simple to make. For full illustrated instructions go here.
What you need:
Glitter glue (optional)
Curling ribbon (optional)
Pom Poms (optional)
Glue (white glue works best for heavy things like sequins and rhinestones)
What to do:
1. Print birthday hat template onto cardstock. Cut out with scissors. Make a small cut on each side of the tab where indicated on the template.
2. Run craft knife along black line to make a slit.
3. Decorate as desired. For curling ribbon top, place ribbons on the inside of the top and tape them down.
4. Make hat into a cone and insert the tab into the slit. Tape the inside and place a staple at the bottom.
5. Use hole punch on either side of the hat to make holes for ribbon.
6. Pull a long length of ribbon through the two holes and tie at the bottom. If desired, you can also use elastic string.
This was a really fun craft because I got to pull out different kinds of sequins, rhinestones, and ribbons. Of course, the possibilities are nearly endless. You could use stickers, stamps, paint, or tissue paper.